Most of the women below 40 years of age become pregnant within a year of having unprotected sex. However, age is a factor in female fertility and female fertility diminishes with increasing age.
It is important to consult a doctor if you are older than 35 years and have not become pregnant even after unprotected sexual intercourse for 6 months regularly.
There are numerous tests to find out the problems causing female infertility. Some of them are as follows:
1. HSG- Hysterosalpingography (HSG) is an X-ray test to observe the internal shape of the uterus and to check the blockage in the fallopian tubes. The abnormalities in the uterine cavity and block in fallopian tubes can be a cause of infertility.
2. Saline SonoSalpingography- It is also called Saline Ultrasound Uterine. The test is conducted to check small polyps of endometrium in the uterus by inserting a small amount of saline solution.
3. Dummy Embryo Transfer- A dummy embryo transfer is like a trial of the embryo transfer procedure. It is done to identify the difficulties in the passage leading to the womb. During the time of real embryo transfer, the information gathered by dummy embryo makes it easier to proceed with the least pain.
4. ERA (Endometrial Receptivity Array)- Endometrial Receptivity Array is a test for women who are undergoing IVF treatment. The treatment is performed to determine the optimal timing for embryo implantation.
5. Fertility Assessment Service- Fertility assessment includes:
6. Hysteroscopy - Hysteroscopy is the examination of the uterine cavity. A small tube attached with a camera is inserted through the vagina into the uterine cavity. This allows the surgeon to get the full view of fibroid in the cavity.
7. Ovarian Reserve Test- Ovarian reserve test is to determine the amount of eggs available for reproduction. Typically this includes ultrasound scanning and some blood test
8. Laparoscopy- It is a minimally invasive procedure used to view a woman's reproductive organs. A thin tube is inserted into the body through a small incision in the abdomen.
9. Recurrent Miscarriage/ Implantation Failure- Recurrent miscarriage refers to the failure of IVF (In-vitro fertilization) treatment with good quality embryos for two or three times.
10. Reproductive Immunology- Reproductive Immunology is a branch of medicine which focuses on the connection between the immune system and reproductive system. This concept is used to describe fertility problems and pregnancy complications.
11. Pelvic Ultrasound Scans- Pelvic ultrasound scan allows producing the images of the reproductive and urinary system. Pelvic ultrasound can be performed in two ways i.e., transvaginal ultrasound and abdominal ultrasound.
12. NIPT (Non-Invasive Prenatal Test)- NIPT test is a blood test conducted to find out the abnormalities in the DNA of the fetal baby. NIPT is a less-invasive method and doesn't cause any harm to you and your baby.
One can get the best fertility treatment at Dr. Vivek Vijaykumar's Clinic where he and his team use advanced technologies to diagnose and treat infertility problems in both men and women. For more queries, contact Dr.Vivek Vijaykumar, Kochi, Kerala. Mail to : [email protected]